This introductory course is designed for wine enthusiasts as well as wine and food service professionals who want to deepen their knowledge of wine.
Meet others who share your passion for wine while tasting 27 wines on your way to developing a basic understanding of Old and New World Wine, including history, terminology, and evaluation.
- Taste 27 wines from 3 continents
- Receive an overview of French, Italian, and American wine
- Learn technical wine descriptive evaluation
- Learn technical wine comparative evaluation
- Receive 150 pages of educational material prepared specifically for this seminar
- Receive a diploma, membership card, and membership pin upon completion of the on-line exam
Level I: On-Line Lecture Component for The Level 1 Wine Seminar
We offer an on-line lecture component for the Level 1 Wine Seminar.You can listen to the lectures at your convenience.To complete the Level 1 Wine Seminar you will also have to register for the in-class tasting component. Then, if you want a diploma you will have to register for, and pass, the on-line exam.
You can sign up for the tasting component and the on-line exam at the same time you sign up for the on-line lecture component. Or, you can sign up for each one separately. Go to the View Dates, Locations and Register For This Wine Seminar page to register the two components (on-line wine lectures component and in-class wine evaluation component) and exam for this Wine Seminar.
On-Line Awards Exam
This wine seminar can be taken for personal enrichment, professional award diploma or a non-professional award diploma.
Depending on your background and goals, you have the option of earning one of 5 diplomas upon successful completion of this seminar and its online awards exam:
- Professional Award titles: Wine Sommelier, Wine Manager, Wine Merchant, Chef of Wine Arts
- Enthusiast (non-professional) Award title: Cellar Manager
Online Award Exam
- Personal Enrichment: You do not take the on-line exam, if, at a later date, you decide you want an award you can take the on-line exam.
- Professional Award: You have two weeks, following the seminar, to take the on-line exam for a fee of $50. Thereafter the fee is $100. Professional award options are listed above
- Non-Professional Award: You have two weeks, following the seminar, to take the on-line exam for a fee of $50. Thereafter the fee is $100. The non-professional award is listed above.
You can sign up for the on-line exam before or after you attend the seminar. You sign up for the exam on the same page you sign up for the seminar.
What type of people have completed the wine seminar?
The White House culinary and sommelier staff have completed this course as well as other professionals and enthusiasts including: Executive Chefs, Sous Chefs, Banquet Chefs, Chefs, Cooks, Restaurant Owners, Importers, Distributors, Wine Buyers, Appraisers, Retail Liquor Store Staff and Owners, Sommeliers, Waitstaff, Meeting and Banquet Planners, Convention Managers, Catering Directors, Hospitality Managers, Doctors, Lawyers, Real Estate Brokers, Bankers, Culinary Students, and anyone interested in wine!
Interested in joining our professional program?
If you are interested in recieving an award as a professional in the industry or are a serious enthusiast, see our Professional Program requirements.